Family Support Services
Link to Page for Family Support Services
Family Support Services is a non-entitlement program which brokers disability specific services based on each individual and families unique needs. Family Support Services are based on the value that families belong together and individuals are best served in the community setting. These supports meet every day needs that are often critical in avoiding family crises. The goal of Family Support Services is to assist in maintaining a cohesive family unit and to assist the individual to live at home in the community.
Individuals, age 3 and up, living in Georgia that have been diagnosed with a developmental disability who are living at home, with their family, and are not currently receiving a NOW/COMP Waiver, are eligible for Family Support Services.
Eligible diagnoses include, but are not limited to:
- Developmental Disability
- Intellectual Disability
- Cerebral Palsy
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Down Syndrome
Family Support Services brokers services and goods that are individualized to meet your family’s needs. A Family Support Coordinator will work with your family to develop an Individualized Family Support Service Plan. Some of the services might include:
- Information and referral.
- Assistance in identifying needs.
- Advocacy to obtain needed services or benefits.
- Assistance locating and acquiring services such as:
- Respite Services
- Family Education
- Special diets, clothing, and personal care items
- Other services and supports unique to each family’s needs
Apply for Services
- Families must complete an Application (See Attachment A)
- Complete the Family Support Agreement (See Attachment B)
- Provide supporting documentation of the identified developmental disability. Supporting documentation includes documents that indicate the individual has been diagnosed with a developmental disability, including:
- DD Intake and Evaluation Assessment through a DBHDD Regional Office
- Psychological Evaluation
- School IEP
- Medical Verification of ID/DD by a Physician
- Social Security Disability
Family Support Services applications are accepted at the local community based providers. To locate your local office, please see this list of providers by county.
Family Support Services Program Information